Here at Jolt we know how frustrating it can be when your label printer is not working. The purpose of this document is to assist in troubleshooting potential problems that might arise during normal use. In this process the Zebra Printer will be completely reset to help resolve the majority of current issues. At the end of each step there are links to articles containing more information. If you do get stuck, please take note of the step and what happened and then reach out to Jolt Support for additional assistance.
*A large number of issues can simply be resolved by updating the iOS and Jolt app versions*
Turn on automatic software and app updates to ensure these are always up to date. Refer to Apple’s support article to learn how to enable automatic updates for your devices: Automatic Updates | Apple.
1. Unplug the power cable from the back of the Zebra printer. This needs to be unplugged for several minutes in order to drain the printers capacitors. KEEP THE POWER CORD PLUGGED INTO THE WALL, the power cords include their own power supply and will not properly drain the capacitors.
2. In the Jolt app, go to Settings then Printers and delete any configured printers that are currently showing by tapping the connection, then select delete. Then force close the Jolt app by double pressing the home button on the iPad to open the app switcher and swiping the Jolt app card to the top of the screen.
3. In the iPad’s settings, forget the connection to both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connections. For Bluetooth this is done by selecting the blue "i" icon next to the serial number, then select Forget This Device. For Wi-Fi this is done by selecting the blue "i" icon next to the Network, then select Forget This Network. Then turn off the iPad.
4. Let both devices remain off for a couple minutes and then reconnect the printer power cable but do not turn it back on. We will now reset the Factory and Network Defaults on the printer.
5. Your printer should be powered on at this point. Ensure the far left status light is a solid green and the far right network light is red before moving forward.
6. The printer will need a roll of labels loaded and the sensor properly aligned and calibrated.
7. Power on the iPad. Open the iPad’s settings and turn Bluetooth on. Look for the serial number (found at the bottom of the printer) and then connected to it. Once that is done, go to the Wi-Fi settings and reconnect the iPad to the private Wi-Fi network. Double check the password if you have trouble connecting.
It is very important that the network is private, as this is the only type of network that will allow the printer to connect with Jolt.
8. Open the Jolt app, go Settings then Printers. Select Add Zebra and then choose the printer's serial number from the Accessory window to connect to Bluetooth. The printer will then display under Printers Not Yet Configured.
9. Select the printer, give it a Description (Bluetooth or BT) and then Save. This will move the printer under Configured Printers. Select the printer once more and tap Test Print in the lower left portion of the window. This should print a Jolt test label. Feel free to print a few to ensure that it is working correctly. You are now connected to Bluetooth. You can find screenshots in our support article:
10. Select Config WiFi in the lower right hand portion of the printer configuration window. You will be prompted to enter the same password previously entered to connect to the private Wi-Fi network. The configuration will run through several steps that can take a couple of minutes. If the configuration times out, double check that the password is correct. You may have to run through the configuration process a couple of times for this to go through successfully due to your specific network setup. You can find screenshots in our support article:
11. Once Wi-Fi has been configured follow the same steps to move the Wi-Fi connection from Printers Not Yet Configured to Printers Configured section by giving the Wi-Fi connection a description. From here select the Wi-Fi connection once more and run another test print.
Everything should be fully connected and configured at this point. Go ahead and try printing some of your own labels to ensure everything is running as it should.
If you need additional assistance please reach out to Support.
Jolt Technical Support
1 (877) - 396 - 4112 Ext. 1
M - F / 7 AM - 6 PM MDT