This article is designed to outline the full scope of the Zebra Printer troubleshooting process overcoming problems that might arise during normal use. Throughout this process, the Zebra Printer will be reset to factory default settings in order to help resolve issues. At the end of each step, there are links to articles containing more information. If you encounter issues with completing a step, please make note of the step and what occurred, and then reach out to Jolt Support for additional assistance.
*A variety of issues can simply be resolved by updating the iOS and Jolt app versions*
Turn on automatic software and app updates to ensure these are always up to date. Refer to Apple’s support article to learn how to enable automatic updates for your devices: Automatic Updates | Apple.
1. Unplug the power cable from the back of the Zebra printer. Hold down the power button for 30-45 seconds, then keep the printer unplugged for several minutes in order to completely drain the capacitors. KEEP THE POWER CORD PLUGGED INTO THE WALL, the power cords include their own power supply and will not properly drain the capacitors.
2. In the Jolt app, go to Settings then Printers and delete any configured printers that are currently showing by tapping the connection, then select delete. Then force close the Jolt app by double pressing the home button on the iPad to open the app switcher and swiping the Jolt app card to the top of the screen.
3. In the iPad’s settings, forget the connection to both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connections. For Bluetooth, this is done by selecting the blue "i" icon next to the serial number, then select Forget This Device. For Wi-Fi, this is done by selecting the blue "i" icon next to the Network, then select Forget This Network. Then shut-off the iPad by holding the lock button for several seconds until the screen goes dark.
4. Keep both devices off for a couple of minutes and then reconnect the printer power cable but do not turn it back on. We will now reset the Hardware and Network Defaults on the printer. For a Hardware reset, hold down the Pause and Feed buttons, then hold the power button until just the Status light is on and you can release all buttons. In order to reset the Network Defaults, turn the printer off again, then hold the Pause and X buttons. Now while pressing those two buttons also hold the power button until the only the Status light is showing.
Zebra Printer Resets
5. After performing these two resets, ensure the far left status light is solid green and the far right network light is red before moving forward.
6. The printer will need a roll of labels loaded and the sensor properly aligned and calibrated.
Loading Media | Zebra
Calibrate Zebra Printer or Zebra User Manual
7. Power on the iPad. Open the iPad’s settings and turn Bluetooth on. Look for the serial number (found at the bottom of the printer, it will begin with 50Jxxxxxxxxx) and then connected to it. Once that is done, go to the Wi-Fi settings and reconnect the iPad to the private Wi-Fi network. Double check the password if you have trouble connecting.
It is very important that the network is private and does not require additional credentials such as a username or terms and agreements, as this is the only type of network that will allow the printer to connect with Jolt.
Connect to Bluetooth | Apple
Connect to Wi-Fi | Apple
Common Interference Issues
8. Open the Jolt app, go Settings then Printers. Select Add Zebra and then choose the printer's serial number from the Accessory window to connect to Bluetooth. The printer will then display under Printers Not Yet Configured.
9. Select the printer, give it a Description (Bluetooth or BT) and then Save. This will move the printer under Configured Printers. Select the printer once more and tap Test Print in the lower left portion of the window. This should print a Jolt test label. Feel free to print a few to ensure that it is working correctly. You are now connected to Bluetooth. You can find screenshots in our support article:
Zebra Printer Setup
10. Select Config WiFi in the lower right-hand portion of the printer configuration window. You will be prompted to enter the same password previously entered to connect to the private Wi-Fi network. The configuration will run through several steps that can take a couple of minutes. If the configuration times out, double check that the password is correct. You may have to run through the configuration process a couple of times for this to go through successfully due to your specific network setup. You can find screenshots in our support article:
Zebra Printer Setup
11. Once Wi-Fi has been configured follow the same steps to move the Wi-Fi connection from Printers Not Yet Configured to Printers Configured section by giving the Wi-Fi connection a description. From here select the Wi-Fi connection once more and run another test print.
Everything should be fully connected and configured at this point. Go ahead and try printing some of your own labels to ensure everything is running as it should.
If you need additional assistance please reach out to Support.
Jolt Technical Support
1 (877) - 396 - 4112 Ext. 1
M - F / 7 AM - 5 PM MDT